Saturday, October 22, 2005

In Loving Memory of Greg Curbow

My brother Kayhan informed me yesterday that one of his mentors, Greg Curbow, recently passed away. Neither Kayhan or I knew him personaly, yet Greg was able to touch our lives in a way only truly loving people can.

A little over a year ago Kayhan decided that he was going to build a bass from scratch with absolutely no knowledge on how to start. He bought a couple "How To" books and dissected my old guitar to figure out what he'd need to begin. Around the same time I introduced him to my buddy Carlos who happened to have a $5 k Curbow bass that he worked very hard for (now I understand why).

This handmade bass is beautiful, nobody I know who's seen it would disagree. Lifting it off the stand you know it's something special just by its weight. It's solid and heavy but it sits in your arms gently like a baby. You know it’s a masterpiece when you hit a string and you feel this deep sound bellowing through the wood into your body. It was Carlos's Curbow bass that served to introduced Kayhan and I to this truly great man.

After doing some research Kayhan called Curbow's shop for some advice and parts. Greg took an hour out of his schedule to personally talk to Kayhan about different woods, parts and way to go about starting the project. He could have easily passed Kayhan to one of his associates, but that's not the kind of man he was.

I remember the first time Kayhan got off the phone with Greg, he couldn't hold in his excitement and had the biggest smile on his face. He told me how Greg was sending him some special cuts of wood and that he wanted to help him throughout the project. They continued to connect over the phone for the next few months as the bass started to take shape. Every time they spoke Kayhan had a surge of inspiration to take his bass to the next level. Greg saw pictures and invited Kayhan out to his shop/school.

Greg Curbow was able to touch my brother’s life over the phone.

Just yesterday Kayhan called Greg's shop to update him on the progress. One of his associates named Simon answered (Simon and Kayhan grew to know each other over the last year) and delivered the sad news – Greg had passed away a month ago from a brain tumor. I can only imagine the emotions that flew through Kayhan's body. Here's one of his buddies on the phone telling him that his mentor passed away from a brain tumor that he's been suffering from for some time now, of which Greg never said a word. I know how he felt because he came in my room right after receiving word and told me what had happened. I personally felt my guts wrench like someone grabbed them with both hands and then twisted.

The thing is I know Greg was able to touch many other people's lives like he touched ours, that is the kind of person he was. He did what he loved and shared it with a open heart. His life serves to guide us all.

I notice something interesting after Kayhand told me about Greg. Our dog Max was lying on my bed. Every time the mail man comes he jumps up and runs to the mail slot where he proceeds to bark so hard that he starves himself of air. Yesterday for the first time Max didn't address the mailman. He stood up and looked at the door as if he were about to go tear a chunk out of the guy, but this time he looked back at me as if he was aware something was different. We made eye contact and then he just laid back down. There was some presence in my room that he was able to pick up on. I don't know what it was, but it was something special.

I'm happy to say that Kayhan's bass will be dedicated to Greg Curbow, the passionate man whom he never met in person but who was able to touch his life deeply.

R.I.P.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great story man.

I only recently found out about greg's passing. I too never met him personally. I only ordered a cort curbow from him and had him set it up for me. Very nice guy.
I've read so many heartwarming stories about how he has bent over backwards to help people I wouldnt even know were to begin to remember all of them. He will truely be missed.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:12:00 AM  
Blogger CyrusGolkar said...

As I read this beautiful and inspiring poem about Greg, many questions arise about how I can more follow Greg's path with every interaction with people and the nature everyday.

look with the eyes of mystery, compassion,
and the hands of help

CG

Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Greg really well, and I can say that before his tumor came about, he was a very course man, but I can tell you with the utmost certainty that he knew his craft. It was this tumor that changed him into the man you knew. It served to remind him of the frailty of the human condition, and it lightened him up on several levels, but never on his guitars. His cancer made him realize that his work could be godly, but not a man. He became a much better person after that.
When you picked up a Curbow and hit a string, it wasn't a musical note, but a sound directly from him, himself. This was the amount of his soul that he put into his work. Each guitar was an individual person, and he crafted them as such. Having played many of his instruments in various stages of completion, I've always wanted one, and never been able to. They simply become a part of you when you put it on.
I remember the first electric I ever owned was resurrected by him. It was an old Cort Effector that I paid $50 for as, literally, a box of parts. He took two weeks to get it back together...and it played like the most beautiful hunk of junk I had ever owned. I could tell how much work he had put into it, and the slight look of sadness on his face that he didn't get it perfect. I played that guitar for a couple of years. His constant struggle for perfection was one of the things I most respected about him, no matter the man's attitude. I have nothing but fond memories of hanging out at his shop, hearing the occasional clunk of raw wood on workbench, or the whir of his prized bandsaw, or the occasional swear word if something wasn't just so. I'll never forget the man, or his work. This lowly musician will always have a place in his heart for such an irreplaceable soul. Jay Moler

Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to meet Greg. I attended college in the late 90's in North Georgia. I went into his shop one day looking to have my stienberger bass modified. He did a great job, got rid of the muddy overdriven tone and made it sound sweet. He took the time to show me how he builds his bass's. This guy cut not corners, had the right tools for the job. His bass's sounded as good as they looked. You could tell he loved what he did.

RIP

Friday, February 12, 2010 1:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Joe W. said...

I bought a beautiful Curbow 5 string from a shop in New Jersey back in the 90s and it's been my bass of choice ever since. I had problems with the electronics and contacted Greg, so he told me to send it back to him so he could get it worked out. He had since stopped using that Bartolini system and it took FOREVER for him to get the replacement parts (months and months and months) but he was nice enough to do the work for free as long as I'd cover the shipping. (He even offered to take my '81 Rickenbacker 4001 off of my hands if I was willing!) The man I briefly got to know loved music, loved the bass, and I have been proud and honored to own a Curbow. Every time I take my bass out of its case I always get asked by someone "What is that?" I answer: "Let me tell you about the guy who made my bass..."

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one of Gregs basses... I do miss talking to him on the phone... I get lots of questions about my bass.. the answers come with stories of Greg...'till we talk again"

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home